Serverless is the Future
Accelerate time to launch
What is Serverless?
Serverless is defined as "a cloud computing execution model in which the cloud provider dynamically manages the allocation of machine resources. Pricing is based on the actual amount of resources consumed by an application, rather than on pre-purchased units of capacity." (Source: Wikipedia)
The common characteristics of Serverless solutions are:
- Pay per invocation request, costs aligned to usage.
- The focus of systems design are Events and Triggers.
- Functions provide on-demand code processing.
- Managed application services replace custom stacks.
- Reduced customer responsibilities, more focus on code.
- Achieve linear performance and cost scaling under load.
The Benefits of Serverless
The primary benefits of Serverless solutions:
Simplify & standardize architectures, shed technical debt and align with long-term cloud roadmaps.
Remove burdens like the effort to build application stacks, monitor, manage and scale infrastructure deployments.
Increase productivity, free teams from unnecessary tasks, and focus on building new capabilities and amazing user experiences.
Faster time-to-market by accelerating development, testing and deployment cycle times with reduced responsibilities.
Easier to support - Functions typically have a few hundrew lines of code, so they are simpler to maintain and debug.
Lower development and operating costs with reduced responsibilities, lower staffing bills, open source and per-invocation pricing.
How is Serverless used?
Serverless enables a range of common use cases, including:
Web Applications - dynamic website content, web application backends.
Microservices and Web API's - Decompose monoliths into Microservices and Functions.
Data processing - real-time streaming, batch and Serverless MapReduce functions.
Serverless ETL - deserializing, filtering, transforming, wrapping and delivering data between data stores.
Data storage & analysis - Data Lakes store event data, and access the data using a range of query and analysis tools.
Chatbots - powering conversations with custom logic, natural language interfaces.
Serverless security protection requires additional capabilities beyond the tools and processes used to manage security today
- Defend and prevent Function attacks
- Inspect Events not network packets
- Detect abnormal resource requests
- Scan for code and config changes
- Enforce least priviledge policies
- Observability into Serverless attacks
For more information, see our partnership with Protego Labs.