Mode2 migrated HSQ’s services from dedicated instances to shared EC2 instances and migrated the CloudFormation-based build and deployment processes to containers on the Janus platform. This approach instantly realized operational cost savings with little impact to the workloads. HSQ’s developer team can now easily deploy workloads on Amazon ECS and EKS.
Mode2 used Python to build command-line tools to scan instances, create inventories of software and configuration files, and tag instances to track for the transition. The scripts we created used the information collected in the scans to generate CloudFormation stacks to recreate the services under new policies. The scan also generated a spend report with best practice recommendations to realize additional savings.
After creating the inventories, Mode2 used HSQ’s technical playbooks and tooling to migrate workloads to container-based deployments. This solution now allows HSQ to continually improve on their deployment configurations, moving them towards their goal of fully automating deployments on Amazon ECS under the Janus platform for simpler management and maintenance.
HSQ benefited from:
- Reduced costs by switching from dedicated to shared instances on EC2 (11% premium)
- Better performance-to-cost ratios from modernizing to newer instance family types
- A 10% cost reduction from rightsizing instances based on resource usage observed over time
- Lower storage costs of over-provisioned EBS volumes
- Less time needed for system operations and maintenance
- Better workload density and improved reliability from containerized workloads